Jun 22, 2010

Nebaj

I did not anticipate having internet during this trek, but alas, we are staying our first night at a restaurant/hostel called Popi's thats run as a non for profit, supporting Mayan Hope which works to help children with special needs in the region. The hostel is run by an ex-pat named Don who has been living here in Guatemala for 25 years. He got contracted to install cable here from a Belize company and just never left...

The day started early. I woke up around 5:30 without my alarm (I have actually been getting up pretty early the past couple weeks) and packed my bag for the trip. Then headed down to the Quetzaltrekker office, which is also in Casa Argentina where I spent the last two nights, to have some banana pancakes and fruit for breakfast. We walked to the Minerva bus terminal and took a chicken bus through Chichicastenango and then switched at Quiche into a microbus. That was about another 2 hours, and we finally arrived in Nebaj around 3pm. I was pretty beat, but walked around the market here a bit...and when I came back, I got to witness some pig castrations...4 in fact..which was really crazy to watch. I didn't know that castrating pigs meant they gain more weight faster...the things I learn in Guatemala...

Later, much much later, we had an awesome dinner of salad, pesto pasta and pie and ice cream....but! the craziest thing is how Don makes his ice cream..out of soy...and duck eggs! It was delicious. I never would have thought that those two things would go together...

So in total, on this trip, there are two guides from Quetzaltrekkers (Darah and Ryan) and three other girls: Sarah from Germany, Joanna from Oregon, and Sharron from Ireland. A good group! I am excited to spend these next 5 days with them!

Tomorrow we get up at 7, have pancake breakfast, watch the first half of the world cup game (England vs US) and get walking out of town. We stop at a cheese farm tomorrow, eat lunch at a stream, and end the day in a village where we get to try out a temescal, which is a mayan sauna. Very excited!

I also got an email from PLQ, my school in Xela, this evening. The coordinator wanted to let me know that apparently there are some problems at Finca La Florida right now, as some campesinos have gone to occupy the finca. Im not sure of the details, but I am very touched that they thought to let me know. I stopped by at the school yesterday and talked to Carlos, the director, and told him of my plans, and he got someone to email me. So, if Finca La Florida doesn't happen, I might head to the coast and go on a surf trip..we'll have to see

Day one of the trek is over! Not that we did any trekking today, but a 5 hour bus ride should count for something! 5 more days to go...

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 24, 2010

    Kalyeena, I'm so proud of you. What an amazing adventure you're on. Thanks for sharing it with us, I'm really enjoying it. Those of us who were never brave enough to do such things are living vicariously through your blog. Hope you're well.
    Love, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear all is well and you are with a good group of people exploring and learning and ultimately sharing with this with us.
    I'm at Polya and Bruce's for the next two weeks for a break from my ususal busy life. I will be kept busy here also taking in the Stampede and other events as well as visiting friends and family. I need the break from meetings and group responsibilities so I can get back to it fresh and rested.
    What is the status of that school? What are the issues surrounding the take over? And there are always underlying issues not discernable to the casual observor, you know. I would advise seeking out as much information as possible in order to understand what caused the incident rather than believing only one side or stance. And even then, I may not agree with the actions or even the motives, but all deserve respect and understanding and to be honored for their commitment.
    I look forward to seeing you in the near future, a month away from now, and hearing all your insights and thoughts and perspectives. Take and be safe and kind to yourself and all those you encounter. I love you, dear one, beyond words.

    Love,
    Baba

    ReplyDelete