May 1, 2010

Day 2 (and recap of Day 1)

Alright! Well, I'm in Antigua for a second day, staying at the Black Cat Hostel - it's great! I'm definitely glad I reserved 2 nights here. It's completely full, and everyone's young and friendly and helped me celebrate my birthday!
But I'll start from the beginning...

I got to the aiport on time on Thursday morning, was very glad to not have drank too much at the Astoria the night before, haha. It was an 8 hour flight to Mexico City. Once I got there, I actually met a guy named Gabriel from Montreal who was heading to Guatemala on the same flight. He just finished his 2nd year in marketting and was off to do his annual trip to Central America to surf for 3 weeks. We got into Guatemala City around 11pm. For some reason, the two of us didn't have to get our bags checked when we got there - the officers litterally looked us up and down, shook their heads, amused, or at least in certainty that we were harmless, haha and just waved us through.

Gabriel was going to spend the night in the airport and go to El Salvador at 5am, but my hotel came to pick me up and he decided to head to Dos Lunas as well. Dos Lunas was fantastic - a full breakfast and really hilarious and friendly staff. The desk manager is from Denmark, and was really energetic and helpful. Really erratic, but great - I'm booked to spend a night there before I fly out in August.

Anyways, Gabriel decided to reroute his trip to Antigua for a day, to come help me celebrate my birthday. So in the morning we caught a shuttle from Guatemala City to Antigua and got dropped off at Black Cat Hostel. We went and explored the city for a few hours. It's beautiful! A bit of a maze - a lot of the streets looked the same at first, same bright colours in a grid, but the colonial architecture of the churches and arches is really neat. We had our first Guatemalan meal, and then headed back right before the rain started, played some cards and met a bunch of Kiwis and Canadians to play Shithead with. I won, but I think the birthday luck was assisting me haha

The hostel managers announced my birthday and got me a shot, and half a birthday song haha. We went out to a bar afterwards, and went out on the terrace in time for some fireworks. I know they weren't for me but I pretended, and I got another birthday song! This is definitely been my best birthday ever. A good way to start off my 21st year for sure!

Day 2
Woke up this morning in time to say bye to Gabriel - he headed off to El Salvador in hopes of catching some of the good swell that was coming in. Had an awesome breakfast - the hostel includes it in the price of your stay...had a huge breakfast burrito with some tasty guacamole. An Irish friend I met, Ken, convinced me to head up to Pacaya on a tour this afternoon, so that's where I'll be heading in an hour and a half. There isn't any lava flowing right now, and I'll most likely get soaked in the rain, and it's the most typical tour that everyone seems to do on the Guatemala route...BUT it's only $8 and it'll be nice to get outside and be active. Exams left me no time to do anything but eat and sleep and work it seems..so I feel like a bit of a bump on a log, haha

Alright I've spent too much time on this computer now, but I'll post pictures soon - once I have a substantial amount to add.

So for the family: I'm safe and sound, and well taken care of. Miss you much!

Love to you all,

Kalyeena

3 comments:

  1. We are happy you are safe. This will be a great way to share your adventure with the rest of us. Have fun and stay safe. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Girl! Enjoy, learn and share--that is what I look forward to! Glad you're safe and taking a bit of time to relax and enjoy. I look forward to more updates. By the way, the Museum is open and was enjoyed by 42 visitors on opening day, May 1st. Take care of yourself, my sweet Granddaughter and know that I love you more than words could ever express. Baba

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to keep up on what you are up to, but I missed you at the Mother's Day Peace Walk yesterday. The turn out was good but down from a few years ago. Oh well, so it goes. I am glad to hear that Mother's Day is a big deal where you are, but maybe it needs to be highlighted everywhere that the original intent was not gift giving to Mothers but a strive to stop war and killing. Take care my sweet one and know that I love you beyond words. Baba.

    ReplyDelete