May 15, 2010

An end to lakeside livin`

My last day in San Pedro! I`m a little misty-eyed in realization that my hours here are numbered, but I am happy that I seem to be avoiding the onset of the rainy afternoons - its been ridiculously good weather here since I arrived (the evidence of which are my peelin shoulders.. gross)

I met some great people at La Cooperative Spanish School...the teachers and students. There is actually one student from Cooperativa who seems to have planned a similar itinerary as me...we`re both heading to Xela tomorrow, and will be starting classes Monday morning at Proyecto Linguistico Quetzalteco de EspaƱol (PLQE). I guess we`re both suckers for the social justice centred schools, haha

My family has been great. The girls have really taking a liking to me, and have told me they dont want me to leave! Last night the three of us (Ana who is 7 and Evelin who is 9) played some card games...I began to teach them Go Fish, but they already knew it...in translation though of course...Va a pescar!

I`ll be taking a shuttle tomorrow morning at 8´30am, and the bus ride is near three hours. I`ll be staying in a hotel or hostel my first night, then moving in with my family on Monday if all goes as planned.

1 comment:

  1. My dear Sweet Kalyeena,
    As always it is good to hear from and about you. It is hard to leave those who have so recently met and want to get to know better, but that is the way life is, you know. People, places, things, sometimes flit in and out but do leave lasting impressions that we carry with us forever. We will have to talk a bit more about all that you have learnt about the wars and the violence from the perspective on those who lived through it rather than the sanitized Government versions or only those components that our Western media was allowed to report. I hope all is well with you. I forgot to ask are you still trying to remain on the Vegan diet? If so, how are you faring with that? Is it difficult? Anyway, I will wait to hear from you either on this blog or via a personal email. Take care, my sweet one. although 4 months seems like a long time, it will go very quickly for you as well as for us up here in the privileged lands.

    Baba

    ReplyDelete