Jul 11, 2010

In the sweaty heart of Guatemala

After a 14 hour shuttle bus ride, I arrived in Lanquin last night. Our shuttle was pretty lucky because we were able to make reservations at one of our pit stops. I got one of the last beds in this hostel called El Retiro. Its ridiculously huge, and I actually might switch to a newer hostel called Zephyr Lodge...people have told me its really relaxing, more low key. I actually have come down with a cold, and having this many people around is sort of overwhelming. But we`ll see. If I get up the energy to get into town or ask someone where I can find the lodge, I`ll switch over today. Though I do fear that my lack of energy will keep me right where I am, haha

It is so ridiculously hot here. Like I may have mentioned in a previous post, I didn´t really bring any shorts to Guatemala, since I was prepared to spend most of my time in Xela, and of course its the rainy season. I was also advised to dress quite conservatively, which I have definitely appreciated - since most women outside of the city dress in their typical traje. So right now I just have a wrap around skirt that I bought in Panajachel. I hope it will suffice...

Being around this many tourists is just nuts. Again, Lanquin is a big tourist hot spot, and a lot of people who have just gotten to Guatemala or are passing through make sure to get here, so this is also adding to that atmosphere that makes it seem like Antigua moved just a little further north.

I am not sure how many nights I will end up spending here. Enough to do the tours - there are cave tours and tubing and waterfall exploring. But next I will head to Livingston on the Carribbean coast. And after I will try fit in a couple nights at Finca Tatin on the Rio Dulce. Hopefully I make it to Peten in time to start school next Monday.. If not, I may cancel, visit the sights near Tikal in a couple days and try to get back to San Pedro and start school again a little earlier than expected.

I feel a lot different seeing all these tourist attractions after being here so long. Also, talking to so many travellers who are just passing through, maybe spending 10 days in Guatemala at most, is crazy...even after two months here I feel like I barely have seen the country. Its a shame that so many people pass through it so quickly..

No comments:

Post a Comment