Jul 14, 2010

Semuc, Semuc

The day of my last post, I actually went straight to the office, phoned the other hostel and packed my stuff. Thankfully they had a bed. I tried to be slightly discreet about calling at first (I had heard that there is some tension between the hostels) but just said I was meeting a friend at the other... I talked to Tyler, one of the workers at Zephyr and he told me they were all just about to leave, but if I wanted to watch the final of the world cup, I could meet them at a bar down in town, just grab a tuk tuk there. That restaurant was filled to capacity, with people stading outside and looking through the windows. I think it may have been the biggest TV used in Lanquin for the final, so everyone wanted in on it. A lot of happy Spaniards in that bar, but with so many people cheering for Holland, there were definitely some sour faces that afternoon haha

When I got to the hostel and everyone came back, it turned out that a bunch of people that I met in San Pedro were also staying there. I love meeting up along the way - it feels like you have family! Today, all those lovely Isrealies left, but theres some great people around still and as always, tis the traveling life to part...

I went to bed quite early the past couple days, save last night... but after doing school again last week i got into the habit of a 6oclock wake up and putting myself to bed by 930. But I suppose as always I go in waves with my schedule

My second day at the hostel I went on the Semuc Champey tour. We did the caves first which was nuts! The water is so high inside because of the rain they´ve had here, and some of the waterfalls inside were just crazy. Our guide, Otto, was amazing though, and we went pretty far inside. We only had candles to light our way, I couldn´t believe that mine held up the entire way. And considering my height, and my one handed doggy paddle, I´d say I did pretty well on that leg of the tour.

The caves took about an hour, and then there was a rope swing of sorts to jump in the river. I am a baby and didn´t go, haha, I don´t think I´ll ever be inclined to throw myself into the air voluntarily...

After, we went tubing, but because the river is so high right now, it literally took less than 5 minutes to get back down to the office. That little taste though, made me miss the Granby and Kettle Rivers at home. Zephyr organizes tubing trips every day in the afternoon, but the water really isnt that nice right now. But if there are enough people today, I might go...

Once we got out, we walked over to the Semuc Champey entrance, grabbed some lunch from a stand, and then walked up to el mirador, or the lookout point. It was a fantastic view, but somehow, after seeing it so many times in everyone´s Guatemala photos, I wasn´t as impressed as I should have been. It felt like a bit of dejavu to be honest... It´s a popular photo shot. Eitehr way, you´re looking over the crystal blue pools and can see the mountains all around. Hopefully I´ll get around to posting those photos soon...

After hiking back down, we went swimming, for just over an hour. There was a point where we were following the guide, and he was taking us somewhere to jump off. Literally, it was only two meters up, and I tried about 5 times to jump but couldnt get my legs to push me off, haha, so I climbed down and jumped into the water from only about 3 feet up. I´m improving I think? haha

The pickup truckride back was wet...it started to rain just as we got in the back, and after the hour trip back to Zephyr I was soaked. But it was still a beautiul ride!

I was so bagged after that - we had started the day at 830 and come back at around 5. I was out by 930 - and slept for about 12 hours haha.

Yesterday I refused to do anything. And it was lovely. A hammock, some good music from the bar, and a view with good friends was amazing. I walked into town some time later with a friend, Andrea, who I met and grabbed some chocobananos and chocopinas, bought some shorts and took a look around the town. Lanquin is pretty small but its worth a stroll

The other night I asked a local woman if she could sew a shirt for me - i found a nice thin plaid shirt thats perfect for this weather, in a second hand, ropa americana store, but it was definitely intended to be a dress. She came back with the shirt cut at the length I wanted, but with the sides flared and quite a bit longer than the rest. It looked kind of odd, but then I realized that how they wear their guipils here - whereas the blouses in and around Lake Atititlan are tucked into the skirts and tied with a fabric belt, the women here wear a white tanktop and a thin, see through overshirt thats this odd shape... so naturally she thought thats how I would want a shirt cut. Now I have a blouse in their style, which is a pretty neat souvenir I think!

Tomorrow I plan to take a pickup to Livingston, starting at 730 in the morning. It should take about 5 hours.. hopefully it doesnt rain till I get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment